A great recipe for any Alaskan white fish. This balance of sweet, spicy, and creamy pairs well with the rich flavor of Blackcod, or even the delicate flavor of Lingcod, all combined into one big, steamy, warm bowl. The cilantro scallion salad helps keep the bright and refreshing.
Braised Wild Alaska fish with Coconut Sweet Potato Curry
- 2 lbs. sweet potatoes cut into a medium dice
- 1 onion sliced thinly
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp chili flakes optional
- 2 13.5 oz. can coconut milk not water or coconut cream
- 4 6 oz. Any Alaskan white fish works. We reccomend Blackcod, Halibut, Cod, or Lingcod, cut into 2 to 3-inch pieces
- 4 scallions sliced thinly
- 1 bunch cilantro or about 1 cup chopped
- 2 limes zest and juice
- 1 Tbsp. sesame or olive oil
- 4 oz. spinach
Prepare vegetable curry
- In a medium frying pan, heat a glug of neutral oil until shimmering hot. Add the curry powder and chili flakes (if using) to bloom the flavor. Toast until fragrant.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the onion and garlic with a big pinch of salt and cook until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Shake the unopened can of coconut milk to recombine the coconut cream and water. Add the sweet potatoes, coconut milk and 1 cup of water (or ½ a can of water to loosen). Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook half covered until the sweet potatoes are just about cooked through (about 15 minutes).
Prepare your fish
- Season the fish filets with salt, then place evenly in the frying pan and cover to braise.
- Cook until the fish is cooked through (about 10 minutes). Remove the lid and increase the heat to reduce the sauce until thick. Combine the scallions, cilantro, lime zest and juice with the sesame oil and a big pinch of salt.
- Just before serving, taste the coconut curry liquid and add more salt if desired or thin with a bit more water if it has gotten too thick.
- To serve, divide the spinach or kale between four bowls. Spoon the fish with the sweet potatoes and curry liquid over the spinach and then top with the cilantro scallion salad.